Wednesday, December 16, 2015

"How the Grinch Stole Our Christmas" - Biggest Mom Fail Turned Into A Fun Lesson

     Here is my disclaimer: This year is only my second year having a REAL tree.  I grew up with a fake one and never knew the difference.  Last year my husband took care of our first real tree.  Well, this year I completely forgot to give it water.  I didn't even notice anything was awry until my shoulder grazed the tree and I noticed it was feeling very crispy.  Yup, our poor Christmas tree has passed on from this world.  It was a good tree; loving, loyal, and full of lovely scented pine needles.  But alas, it is no longer with us.  Being aware that this would soon pose a fire hazard, I knew we had to throw it out.  I had warned my kids that we might need to get a substitute baby tree.  Then I was struck with an idea...

THE GRINCH!

     After all, "The Grinch hated Christmas! The whole Christmas season!  Now, please don't ask why.  No one quite knows the reason."

     My kids are very familiar with the story of the Grinch, since we watch it every year.  So I figured they might appreciate the game.
     Last night after the kids went to bed, I started taking down all the ornaments, lights and decorations from our tree.
   

            I thought I'd feel down; I should have been sad.
     But taking our tree down really wasn't that bad.
     My kids would find the tree gone, every inch.
     But surprised to find out that the thief was the Grinch!

     I printed out a Grinch calling card and taped it to our chalkboard easel and left it in place of the tree.  They asked what happened.  And I said "Looks like the Grinch is causing trouble again." ;)  Marley giggled, while Dylan looked slightly sad, but with a smirk on her face as if she liked the ruse.  And I said, "Yeah, but we don't need a tree to have Christmas, just like the Whos down in Whoville don't need one.  Right?"  They both smiled and said, "Oh okay."  Then we enjoyed reading the book together.

     I forgot to put away a tiny bell that had fallen from the tree.  When Marley found the bell she said, "Hey!! The Grinch left us one bell!"  I replied, "Yeah! Maybe he is starting to feel the Christmas spirit."  This made the girls SO SO happy.  One little bell.  Is that all it takes?  A tiny chime to keep the Christmas joy alive?  Haha.  Children are amazing!

     I do plan on replacing our tree with a tiny one.  I want to surprise them with it on Christmas Eve.  But for now, this little hiccup in our holiday plans has become a wonderful memory and a beautiful lesson for our entire family.  Because, just like the Grinch, we have realized that...

"Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store." "Maybe Christmas... perhaps... means a little bit more!"


 photo jen_zpsi6kk6v8y.png