Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Homeless is the New Elite

     
     Times are changing, and we are happily changing with them.

     I remember growing up and being taught that in order to be happy and successful, I needed to get a college degree and buy a home with increasing property value.  That was it.  The American Dream.

     My husband and I chased that dream for a while, but circumstances and prayer have led us to a place where we have a new dream.  The dream to have no anchor; the freedom to live anywhere at the drop of a hat.  The dream to be able to adapt to different surroundings; and to really take on an adventure together with excitement in our hearts and faith in our souls.  Next month, our dream is finally coming true!!

     We are getting rid of most of our belongings and leaving behind conventional life.  We are becoming a family of nomads.
With three little ones, this adventure won't be easy, but we are excited to take on the unique challenge.


     We had planned to purchase a trailer to live in, but now we have an awesome opportunity to travel from place to place for about 6 months with no official place of residence... Whatsoever.  Homeless!
     I admit the term "homeless" has a negative connotation, so I often refer to us as nomads.  But essentially, we are going to be without a home, by choice.  We will be staying in hotels here and there, and we have plenty of family and friends who are happy to have us as house guests in between, so we will never be without shelter.  Our destinations will be determined by my husband's work trips, so we continue to have a stable income.
     With advanced technology and online communication, travelers and artists are not the only ones who can chase these unconventional dreams.  Today anyone can make it happen, with the right sacrifices. Today, possibilities are limitless.

     We still plan to buy our trailer, but not until later in the year.
For now, we are taking an even bigger leap of faith than we planned, and moving on without a place to hang our hat.. so to speak.

     Honestly though... Now that it's finally happening, we feel like we've won the lottery!
If someone handed me a million dollars, I would still choose to live freely on the road with my family for at least a few years.

     I've had people ask, "How are you able to do that?" 

     I've had people tell me, "That is my dream!"  

     And I've had people say, "I'm going to do that one day."  

     I've come to realize, that we are living the new dream.  Free of rent/mortgage payments and utility bills.  Free to homeschool our children; not only teaching them about the world, but experiencing it with them!  These things have become priceless to me.  I am thankful to the Lord for my blessings and for this opportunity.  With a loving family by my side and the open road calling, I feel like the wealthiest person in the world!



 photo jen_zpsi6kk6v8y.png