Friday, May 6, 2016

Easy DIY Convertible Cape



    I wanted to make my son a prince cape.  His sisters often dress up as princesses to go to Disneyland, so I figured it would be nice if he could match them.  I don't consider myself a seamstress,and I don't like lots of steps, so I made up my own prince cape from a basic rectangle of fabric.  What I came up with was a fantastic cape that can be used upside down and backwards as well.   So now all of my kids can wear it and reuse it for different occasions! There are at least 8 different ways this cape can be worn, and there might be MORE!

Here is how I did it:

1. Cut fabric and lining into a rectangle (I cut it about 20 inches wide and 26 inches long; will depend on the size of your child).

2. Place both pieces together, right sides together.

3. Pin the fabric together.

4. Mark on both sides of the longer edge a space about 4-5 inches (I made these marks about 8-9 inches from the top).

5. Sew fabric together, leaving the marked sections open (this is for pulling the cord through).


6. Cut the corners off, to make nicer points when you turn inside out.

7. Reach into one of the open sections and turn the fabric inside out.

8. Press the edges of the fabric.

9. Now make 1-3 columns about an inch thick, horizontally along the section that remains open (I
like having a few columns as an option to adjust length, so different sized kids can use it).


10. Thread your cord through one of the columns (I used a safety pin to get it through) and gather your fabric in the center of the cord .


11. Now your cape is ready to wear several different ways! (Optional: I ended up sewing an extra seam all along the edges to make it look cleaner)

*In order to use it as a hooded cape (like Red Riding Hood), you will need to tack the corners of the hood somewhere on the cape.  It looks really cute and the hood will be easy to remove and reuse as another cape. (My daughter is 3.5 yrs old and my son is 18 months old)


 photo jen_zpsi6kk6v8y.png