Monday, April 25, 2016

'Tis Strong and Bright and True

Major Fambrough: You wish to see the frontier?
John Dunbar: Yes sir, before it's gone.

... This is one of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite films "Dances With Wolves."  Even as a little girl, I remember thinking what a shame it is that we are not able to appreciate the world as it is in the present.  We mainly look back fondly and wish we could have another chance.  But we don't get another chance; at least not the kind of chance we hope for.  But we do get a chance to live differently now.  I am overwhelmed by the standing gift of free agency.  Because we always have a choice to make a change or to seize an opportunity.  And our family has chosen to seize an adventure together.  I do wish to see the beauty of this free country.. before it is gone.

     Many times, I feel like I have waited so long for this journey to begin, but the time is approaching quickly.  I have felt prepared to take off for months now, but I know I won't ever be 100% prepared for the lifestyle that awaits us.  Seems a lot like parenthood.  We thought, "Sure! Let's have a baby.  That will be an adventure.  We feel ready for that."  But no one is ever truly ready for the challenge of being a parent.  Heck, I'm still not prepared to be a parent. Lol.  I'm still learning every day that things are not as they seem.  I'm still making mistakes every day. And I'm still seeking peace and guidance from my Father in Heaven...every day!
     I know the road ahead won't be easy, and we will struggle with new challenges and old challenges.  But by some miracle, I am blessed with peace in my heart knowing that love and faith will harness my family.
And our dream is happening! We have started planning our first cross country trip living on the road.  Traveling, exploring, working, roadschooling, living, and learning.  Overwhelming.


     When I look at the road map that will guide us, that blue line across the country looks less like roads and more like an iron rod.  A glorious rod of truth and light.  Perspective is everything.  And we continue to be grateful for an eternal perspective.  When we set forth on the open road to experience this journey, we will find strength in holding strong to the iron rod provided to us.

"And they came and caught hold of the end of the rod of iron; and they did press their way forward, continually holding fast to the rod of iron, until they came forth and fell down and partook of the fruit of the tree." 1 Nephi 8:30  
   

 photo jen_zpsi6kk6v8y.png